Heart Healthy Chicken Cacciatore
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes; use a no salt version or freshly diced tomatoes
1 tbsp light olive oil
1 medium sized onion, chopped
5 carrots, peeled and diced
4 celery ribs, diced
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
¼ teaspoon pepper
¾ teaspoon sage
½-1 dropper of liquid stevia (optional, for sweetener)
1 lb spaghetti (alternatively, use spaghetti squash, grain-free noodles, or spiralized zucchini)
- In a large stock pot, warm the oil.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Stir until fragrant and the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, vinegar, pepper, sage, and stevia.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the chicken and cook until it is tender, and center is cooked through.
- While the chicken simmers, cook and prepare your spaghetti or alternative choice, according to your liking.
- Serve the hot chicken mixture over warm pasta. ENJOY!
**This recipe can also be made in a crock pot/ slow cooker:
- Spray the crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- On the bottom, layer the onions, carrots, and celery.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the red wine vinegar, pepper, and sage.
- Pour the tomatoes on top of the chicken.
- Add the liquid stevia, if desired, for a sweeter taste.
- Cook on low 4-6 hours. Ensure the chicken is cooked through with no pink in the middle. Add more cook time if necessary.
- Before the crock pot time is complete, cook the pasta separately so it is ready by the time the crockpot has finished.
- Serve the crock pot meal over warm pasta.